Thursday, October 20, 2005

Conakry to Labe


We woke up early to pile up all of our stuff around taxis headed towards the regional capitals. We left a lot of stuff with the Peace Corps to drop off for us on the mail run headed up country a few days later. We fought back tears, knowing we wouldn't see some of our good friends from training for the next three months. We all planned to gather again for In-Service Training in mid-July. Nine hours later, my taxi arrived in the regional capital of the Fouta Djallon, Labe.

Many volunteers in the Fouta gathered to welcome us to our new region. They planned amazing dinners for us and took us to Porto Falls, a great secret swimming hole with waterfalls off of a dirt road north of the city. We did some more shopping in the Labe market before heading to site. The small cut on my left shin that I got in Conakry running on the beach appeared to be infected. I woke up in the early morning with intense pain and swelling in the leg and with a temperature of 103.5F. I took it easy and started on antibiotics after consulting with the Peace Corps Medical Officers (PCMOs). A few days later my temperature had gone down a bit but my leg was still getting worse. I went to see the doctor in Labe and he said I needed to go back to the capital to get some of the infected tissue in my leg taken out.

No comments: